Music and Me

Have you ever have that certain something in your life that if it were taken out, you wouldn't be this whole person you are right now sitting in front of your computer/laptop/tablet/phone screen and reading this blog  for the maybe the first time and you are now asking why this question is so long, darned! when will I finally see a question mark? Oh, there it is :)

I know I have. I have it with music. I've loved it since I couldn't even remember. Credit goes to my beloved daddy for that :) When I was a tiny one month old baby, my dad would hold me in his lap in front of the TV in the middle of the night and watch classical orchestra. I know right? what kind of a dad is that because the eeny-meeny-baby-me should be sleeping. But my mom said I was awake anyway so yeah... he loved his baby and his classical music, so basically that's how I was introduced to music...




and when I was able to talk, I liked to sing too... I'd sing in the toilet while doing the pee-pee and the poo-poo, but I think a lot of kids do that. :) And there was this one time someone asked me 'What do you want to become?' and I said 'I want to be a violinist and a princess :D'. If asked now, that would still be my answer and for the second answer is probably what every girl wanted to be when they're kids. + designer for now. Amen.

Since I was a kid I wanted to play the violin... I would take my Toba traditional guitar-like instrument and my ruler and imagine I was playing a violin. When I think about it now, it's ridiculous yet kinda sad actually. Then at 7 I started playing violin (the real one of course) until now. I feel very grateful although my playing is still way far from 'amazing'. I had had piano lesson too but just for a year when I was 10, but I didn't continue it because my family moved back to Indonesia and couldn't take the piano. So the only way I 'play' the piano is in my music school (it has a store) and I love to play around there before I go home or in my student choir office. Another instrument, I taught myself to play guitar like everybody does :) just chords nothing too 'wow' :) There are actually 3 instruments that I really want to learn, I mean really learn!
1. Violin
2. Piano
3. Flute (Only learned to play it once, which was my friends')

I believe that if you have that certain passion in life, you just can't fake it. If it was music, you'll unconciously hum your way to school or work. Or when someone sings that song you love you'll automatically sing along. You'll stop at an etalage while window shopping because there's a good music book spotted by your peering eyes and you would run into that store and actually see that book and there are urges to buy that book. And if there's that concert you'll go 'Oh I have to go see it!'. That thing is what makes you, you. It's in your personality and you just can't deny it. If you aren't doing it, you wouldn't feel you're you. You wouldn't feel alive. May it be cooking, teaching, fashion, sport, traveling. it could be anything. :D

Music runs in my veins. I think it's amazing the effects music has on a person. I mean psychologically too. There are even studies about music therapy. That is a therapy/curing for sick people using music. How fun is that! A thriller movie wouldn't be the same without the creepy music put into it. Or an epic war movie wouldn't be as epic as it would without music. Music is whatever you hear and touches your soul. :)

So, what's that certain thing do you have in your life? What excites you? What is that thing that lift your spirit up? Come one, everybody has one! :) Because once you find it, you know that it's a piece that makes you unique and you know there's more of you. It's a good thing! :)

'Music has the ability to pull people in for a lot of reasons'
Alan Menken - Composer of A Whole New World Aladdin

xoxo Yasmin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOEFL IBT Note Taking Tips

Skin journey: How I cured my skin. I went French!

Living with Braces and Retainers (Wire/Hawley vs Clear/Essix)