12 Hours to 2017

Dear reader,

I suppose 2016 for me, is one of those years that I will cherish forever. The hard work from previous years finally paid off. And yes, every bits of hard work will pay off at the end. I'm still a believer in that to this day. So here's a quick timeline and some of the highlights of my year:

January:
-Finished an interior design project for girls' bedroom.
-Got a new clients for interior design projects as a freelance designer.
-Got the honor and opportunity to be a presenter for a classical recital at a concert hall, before a crowd of around 700, presenting the event in Dutch.
-Went on historical tour around Surabaya with my Dutch class students, being mesmerized with Surabaya's colonial buildings and its history.
-Applied to UCL.

February:
-Finished custom chairs I designed for a family member and sent them to their town.
-Finished an interior design for an education institution.
-Back on upper brace.
-Got accepted at UCL.

March:
-Super hectic interior design project through the whole month.
-Went to check furniture that I have designed at the craftsmen.

April:
-Got 2 new baby boy nephews!
-Got invited for a free 2 weeks Dutch course in Jakarta by the director himself.
-Met a my high school desk mate coincidentally.

May:
-Disney and cartoon themed concert as a violinist with an orchestra.
-Still working on the interior design project.

June:
-Another Concert.
-Furniture delivered
-Met friends for iftars.

July:
-Ice skating after 14/15 years.
-Designed another interior design project.
-Ied in Jakarta.
-Went to Jakarta for Scholarship interview.

August:
-Got a scholarship!
-Did a Dutch course in Jakarta for two weeks
-Living like a Jakartan for about 3 weeks, KRL, gojek, etc
-Back to Surabaya, ended my Dutch class, packed my stuff.
-Got an award from the mayor for having voluteered at the language house for 1 year.
-Applied for UK visa
-Back in Jakarta

September:
-Granted UK Student Visa.
-Meet larger family that I didn't know existed. Gathered around family from both mother and father's side.
-Depart to UK.
-Orientation Week.

October:
-Starts school as an MA student!
-Went looking for artifacts at the Thames' bank

November:
-Knitted a shawl (after a long hiatus) for my friend's birthday
-Met an old friend I haven't seen in 13 years!

December:
-Winter concert with string orchestra.
-Went to york for 4 days
-Went ice skating at the Natural History museum ice rink
-NYE in London!

So overall I would divide the year in three parts:

Part 1: Throughout early 2016 I was working on interior design projects as a freelance interior designer. I worked on an education institution, offices, cafe/restaurant, children bedroom, private residences, kitchen sets etc. I have also worked on the furniture that I have designed and also worked for projects for my Dutch class.
Part 2: Around July to September. This was probably the most hectic part of the year. For this part I went back and forth Surabaya-Jakarta. I had an interview at the end of July, a Dutch course at the start of August, made new friends. I stayed in Jakarta, and lived like a Jakartan. I rented a room in Tebet, commuted like a local. After I finished the course, I wanted to apply my student visa from Surabaya and was hoping that I'd depart from Surabaya to the UK. So I went back home to Surabaya. However there was a problem with the system which then requires me to apply for visa from Jakarta, so the next day I packed up all my thing to get to Jakarta and the UK. I did not expect to leave home that soon, but well I was excited so... yeah. I stayed for around 2-3 more weeks in Jakarta until I was ready for the UK. In the meantime I spent a lot of time with my families, going to Bandung and basically just having a great quality time.
Part 3: September the 17th. I still remember it clearly as I was floating above the clouds, and I realized that these clouds are different from what I am used to seeing. It was all clouds (London the grey!), no gaps and as the flight attendant announced that we have arrived in London, I just couldn't believe it. Because I don't know, I felt that ever since I left Belgium, I have craved to get back to Europe, always. Whenever I'm in Europe, I feel at home. And the rest is exploring London, getting to school, meeting new people, made new friends, learned much! Things that I will probably write in another post.

I am so grateful for all the things that have happened 2016. I feel like one by one, my dreams are starting to come true and I am very very happy and blessed! God is just too good. Never stop working towards your dreams and the things you love, little did you know a bunch of bonuses come along with it. I am so excited of what 2017 will bring and I hope so are you. I hope us all an amazing year ahead. Happy New Year 2017!

Cheers,
Yasmin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOEFL IBT Note Taking Tips

Skin journey: How I cured my skin. I went French!

Living with Braces and Retainers (Wire/Hawley vs Clear/Essix)