Letter to a younger me


Dear younger me,

Hi me/you, how are you? You may not have met me yet, but let me tell you that I have (met you). Because in fact I am/was you. You may be wondering how your life will turn out to be like when you grow up. Because yes, I can still remember clearly, that at the age of 12 you were wondering how much time it will take for you to get to the age of 18. And here I am today 25. Yes 25, and no, trust me you won’t feel old, because... I don’t haha! Writing to you, in the hopes that… I don’t know, at some point this could feel pointless since you’re not actually there anymore, but I just wanted to make you sure, that you are going to be okay, you are going to be great, you are going to survive, regardless what you are going through. You know Yasmin, being young, innocent, and carefree with a gazillion of ideas, dreams and your optimistic drive to opportunities, I love that about you. Don’t you ever stop and don’t you ever let it go.

Let’s start at the age of eleven. You’re the new kid (again). New old school, you’ll make new friends, you’ll adapt super quickly, and even I am amazed when I remember that. You come to this new old culture that you find very hard to understand. The language, the lessons, the culture. There will be days that you wish you could just go back to the place you were before. But honey, you’ll be okay, you will be alright. This is just a transition and I know it is not easy. You will be told that you are speaking differently and that you speak English ‘a little too well’ and that you were speaking that way on purpose, behind your back and they will also try to put that into jokes with you, in which you don’t understand that it was a joke, you just felt bullied. And just because you’re trying to be friendly and your mode of friendliness might sometimes ‘scare’ some people off, yes, some might say that you’re looking for attention etc. At the end of the day you will just feel offended and feel that everyone is just weird and rude, and have mom tell and convince you that you don’t have to take it seriously because that’s how people function in this part of the world, which is different with how other people function on the other side of the world. Long story short you will absolutely love sixth grade, you will have friends that last you a lifetime, even until today, you will feel loved and yes you run pretty much the fastest in PE class. My advice to you is to keep your good friends close and no please please just because people don't really appreciate your bubbly personality don't close yourself off, don't stop being bubbly, because you like bubbles so just be it, regardless of what people think, be bubbles and fizz.

And soon after comes junior high. You're gonna love junior high! You will discover new talents such as TaeKwonDo, drama, storytelling, etc. You will meet friends that last you a lifetime. If I were to give you a hint. You are still really good friends with your pals from junior high so better keep them close. You start having anxieties, you start seeing some parts of adulthood problems (not yours), you start seeing real things that you have no control of etc, but you'll be okay. Sometimes it's good to remind myself, even today, that some things, and remember, some things, in life that you thought as 'important', pfff you won't even bother about it five years later. So heartbreaks at 15? Nah, leave it Yasmin, it's not worth it. You will be okay. You made the right decisions, you have no idea how proud I am of you. So live Yasmin, live! You are bigger than the present. Don't stress about things that you know is only temporary. The coolest stuff, the coolest people, although yes I understand they just seem to come naturally in teenagers your age. But those things won't even matter when you're 25 like me. Life is full of surprises isn't it. Even now that years have passed, I know now, that the things you will carry with you as you grow older are skills, knowledge and good relations. Well, moreover I can also say that everything that you/I experienced is what makes us a wiser person today. Even those anxieties that you had, they brought you to another level.You have flourished the ability of being understanding and non-judgmental and look pass through beyond a person's skin or even an outer laugh.

            Senior high school is a another new world. A world you didn't know existed. New friends, laughing out loud and just being silly with your friends. This is the time for you to explore even greater. As you have so many interest just go for it. Do it all and never ever, just promise me to never ever let anyone stand in your way if you know what you're doing is right and good. Never let anyone dim your light. NEVER! You don't owe your life to anyone, it's your life. Do not let anyone control it. Be selfish! The most important person now, is you. Nope, let's not care about other people. I know I might sound a little loud now, it's just that... I wish I could just scream it in your ears 'Run for your life... it's a trap'. My dear Yasmin, but at the same time I just wish I could just hug you tight and tell you that it's all going to be okay. And yes honey you will be happy again I promise you, I promise you, so don't you ever feel that you're a nothing. You are everything! It's tough, I know... I wish I could help you out, but no, it seems that you have to get yourself out and make it a great lesson. However I know now... it has changed you much, a little too much I just realized now. If I could give you an advise at that time, don't hold it to yourself, reach out, maybe it's hard, but your friends they do care... so much actually. But they had no idea because you wouldn't tell them. Never pull yourself away from yourself and your loved ones. The loved ones who actually care about you. If I could tell you where you are today, I won't. But I can tell you for sure, you are going to be very happy and so proud of yourself.

Next is university! You got into interior design! Congratulations! You'll make great friends and you will absolutely love what you are doing! I suppose at this stage you are a 'free bird'. You were caged for so long and it's time for you to fly as high as you could. I think it is these years that healed you much. Great activities, great friends, a great support system! It is in these years that you finally decide to choose your own life and choose how you want to live it. Not for anyone but for yourself. Now that I look back, my advice is, live the moment, cherish it! Some parts might be a little rough but it's worth it. It truly is one of the best years of your life. You will meet someone very special that you will forever be grateful for, for having him in your life. You will have these great friends that would do anything and go through anything with you and you for them in return. I think back of these years and I think you do it as revenge (a positive kind). You were pretty involved in various organizations from which you will meet amazing people and friends, you learn a lot, you strive a lot, and even if it means coning home late midnight you will enjoy every second of it. You showed yourself what you are capable of and what you are worth. I thank you, I thank you for having the courage to do so, I thank you for taking control of your own voice, your life, I thank you for achieving your dreams step by step. Without you, I'm not where I am today. You are a winner. You don't even have to compete with anyone, just compete with yourself. Being the best version of you, be a better you each and everyday. Thank you! Thank you so so so much. You have no idea how much these years have healed you and how these years have affected you in the long run. But thank you!

  Achieving parts of your dreams is a fight. You are getting into one. Perhaps you'd think that it's a long journey but it's not. Time will fly and as you work your way towards achieving it, you will survive. After uni you will see a more clear picture of adulthood, about life, about money and the different colors of people. You will learn to understand through people's stories and struggles, you have a greater perspective on life and have a clear picture of how you want your life to be. It's a big world Yasmin, and by meeting various of people it feels very enriching. And somehow whatever happens in your life, you will always be grateful. Just always keep being positive and stand for what is right. Do what you love. Life is simple. If you want something, get it. If you don't like something, quit. Do things that is fulfilling. Because when you do things that feels fulfilling, everything right will fall in place. Trust me!

Well, from all these years of seeing your life, I'd say that, you've grown a lot, you are a lot wiser and tougher in the core, and it's funny when I say this because it sounds like I'm complementing myself. But now I know that the key to contentment is by being at peace with yourself.  And having seen things in the past years, you will have the ability of choosing what is right for you. And the world might not always be nice, but whatever you are going through, just be nice and kind, especially to yourself. Everything will always be okay, eventually. Always!

Love,
25 yo Yasmin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOEFL IBT Note Taking Tips

Skin journey: How I cured my skin. I went French!

Living with Braces and Retainers (Wire/Hawley vs Clear/Essix)